Saturday, August 6, 2011

What Summer is For

"The world is so full of a number of things
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings."
-Robert Louis Stevenson


As a child, summer for me meant sun filled days, relaxed with no schedule. 
No school, or early mornings. No homework to fill up my afternoons.  No early bedtimes.

Summer was for running through sprinklers, picnics on an old blanket in the yard. 
Lazy afternoons with nothing but my imagination.
 A trip on an airplane to stay with my grandparents.

Watching my children experience summer, is somewhat different. 
Though our routine has slowed, I certainly have not.
 Busy with life, school preparations, house chores, and an endless list of errands. 
I stop for just a few moments realizing that summer is passing us by. 

I turn on the sprinlers for the kids.  Set out a picnic lunch. 
I search through the yard for blossoms with The Diva.
I push the baby in the swing. 
I marvel at the little things the kids do...my eldest, creating his next castle in the sand. 
Nathaniel, meticulously searching through the yard for a caterpillar. 
Elaina, coddling her baby sister.  The baby, learning how to climb the slide. 

I want to remember moments like this forever.
 My time with them is moving too quickly.



secrets with sister




a perfect picnic lunch



sun kissed cheeks






I think of our time here.  Our lives move so quickly. 
Unpromted by adults, our children are content to just be
To enjoy a lazy summer afternoon. 
To search through His creation, unruffled by time.
 To nurture a sibling without rushing a result.

I want to ponder my Lord, what he must think of my busyness...

"O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. 
You know when I sit or stand....you chart the path ahead of me
and tell me where to stop and rest.  Every moment you know where I am. 
You know what I am going to say before I even say it. 
You both precede and follow me and place your hand of blessing on my head."
-Psalms 139:2-5



No comments: