Monday, January 20, 2014

10 Books


10


I’m halfway through with my enormous stack of library books. 


It figures that every time I finally get around to putting a few books on hold, that they all come in at the same time.  Which means I’m up late at night trying to finish them all.  Truth be told, there is nothing better for this worn-down momma, than a little time to herself, lost in a good book.  It’s definitely my favorite way to recharge. 


I thought it would be fun to share what I’ve been reading, and what the kids and I are reading together.  Here are the last 10 books we’ve read, just in case you are looking for something new to read:

1.)  The Secret Keeper (Kate Morton)

The Secret Keeper

Oh how I loved this book!  I love a good historical romance, and this one was full of secrets that kept me guessing until the very last.  It flashes between modern day and WWII, telling the story from four different perspectives, and unraveling the family’s history in such a way that keeps you turning the pages well into the wee hours of the morning.  A great read!


2.)  The House at Riverton (Kate Morton)

The House at Riverton

Another Kate Morton book I finished recently.  This one is during WWI and tells the story of a housemaid at a prominent estate in England.  It was almost at times like reading Downton Abby, which if you are like me, captivated me completely.  I love the way that Morton writes; full of mystery and family secrets. 

3.) Garden Spells (Sarah Addison Allen)

Garden Spells

This was a book I found on the “Top Librarian Picks” shelf at our library.  I devoured it in a day and then regretted that I didn’t savor it a bit more.  It was fantastically magical and modern and romantic, like nothing I’ve ever read before.  I loved it and ended up reading through the rest of her books the following week.  It’s a nice quick easy read and I hope someday they make a movie out of it!

4.) The Peach Keeper (Sarah Addison Allen)

The Peach Keeper

I really enjoyed this book.  I loved the mystery and secrets written in that same magical and romantic style that Sarah Addison Allen writes.  It’s a quick read too, easy to finish in a couple of evenings if you forgo the TV reruns.  I also read this one and this one which were both fun reads.

The Sugar Queen
The Girl Who Chased The Moon

5.)  The Mission of Motherhood (Sally Clarkson)

The Mission of Motherhood

Oh Sally.  She has a way with words, encouraging you just like you are sitting right with her.  I loved this look at Motherhood through the lens of a mission field, giving priority to the tasks that sometimes feel so difficult and tiring.  Some great confirmation that what I am doing now matters, even the mundane.

6.)  Desperate, Hope For the Mom Who Needs To Breathe (Sally Clarkson & Sarah Mae)

Desperate

I really wish I had read this book like five years ago.  I really really needed it then.  It still very much applies now, but as the kids have gotten older, a lot of the desperation has (thankfully) dissipated.  This book is written from both perspectives, the mom in the trenches, weary and worn, and the mom on the other side of it, sharing her wisdom and experience in a way that comforts.  I highly recommend it to new mothers and moms in very busy seasons.  It has really great practical advice.

7.)  Give Them Grace (Elyse Fitzpatrick)

While I liked the idea of this book, it just didn’t work for me.  It’s not practical to give a long drawn out lecture about God’s grace to my four year old when she misbehaves, or even my 9 year old for that matter.  I know for our kids, after the first 10 words or so, their eyes start glazing over and rolling back while their heads start singing the theme song to Sponge Bob Square Pants.  If you are a fan of Elyse or have older kids who love long talks, then this may be the book for you.  Otherwise, I’d probably pass.


For the Kids:


8.)  Far Flung Adventures of Hugo Pepper (Paul Stewart)

Hugo Pepper

Love Love Loved this fun book!  It took us a bit to get through it because we were on Christmas Break for a bit in the middle of it.  There are great pictures and interesting characters, but the story winds around a bit.  I’d recommend it as a read aloud for maybe 2nd grade and up.  Elaina had a hard time following it at times, because the language is advanced and very descriptive.

9.)  Pippi Longstocking (Astrid Lindgren)

Pippi

This book is fun and quick.  Next time I’ll check out the book with all the illustrations in it though.  All the kids were giggling at how crazy Pippi is.  And I think Elaina is wondering if SHE can live alone like Pippi, you know without all the rules and chores and her very own horse.  Winking smile

10.)  Judy Moody (Megan McDonald)

Judy Moody

Elaina checked out the movie a few weeks ago and fell in love with it, so I picked up the book to try out and see if it would motivate her to read.  The book is cute but I think really lacks depth for a strong read aloud.  Probably better suited for an early chapter book reader to read alone.




Next up for me is The Count of Monte Christo (Alexandre Dumas) which I’m going to have to give a fair amount of time to finish. The unabridged version I picked up is over 1400 pages!  Yikes.  I also have The Snow Child (Eowyn Ivey), and two more Kate Morton Novels, The Distant Hours, and The Forgotten Garden.



What are you reading? I’d love suggestions!

No comments: